Reseting DNS SOA Serial
Resetting or moving the DNS SOA serial number to a lower number
To reset a DNS SOA serial number, there is a hack that is barely documented
To reset a DNS SOA serial number, there is a hack that is barely documented.
- Remain Calm
- On the master or primary server change the SOA Serial number
- The SOA Serial number has a limit of 4,294,967,295
- To trigger the reset of the SOA Serial, you need to change your serial by half the range or ~2,147,483,647
- eg... 2011051812 would become 4158535459 and a reload or restart would tell bind to reset the Serial
- Wait... With the new serial numbers, all the zones are considered new, and this will take some time 5-10 minutes
- Verify the zones on the secondary zones. All of them...
- On the primary server set the serial to your desired serial and reload
- Again, wait...
- Test and verify